Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Parting words…


Early in our trip, Samia bemused that she felt like Alice in Wonderland. This statement became the theme of our trip, as we marveled daily at the surreal surroundings and events enveloping and captivating us. As cheesy as it sounds, much of the trip really did feel like a dream. We experienced and witnessed so many things that are completely different from our daily lives, or in some cases, different from anything we have known. At the same time, even within completely unique situations, we always felt a silent sense of comfort and content.

Throughout the week, the three of us noted random things that might go into our “Top 10 Things to Love About Japan” list. I can’t possibly boil my list down to ten things, but I can identify my number one, without hesitation: The Japanese people. They are incomprehensibly kind and helpful, unfailingly polite and mannered, and they have a truly remarkable collective conscious that skyrockets their quality of life in so many ways (physical & mental health, environment, family, crime, urban infrastructure). They are simply marvelous.

Each of us truly fell in love with Japan, and we are individually thinking of how to get back for a more extended period of time. I hope to pick up a bit of the language, and I believe Samia and Rachael are planning on doing to the same. We barely skimmed the surface of the land, the people, and the culture in our 10 day visit; as I sit here on the plane back to the States, I am longing for more of Japan, already. This trip was exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it. Thanks for caring enough to let me share it with you. :)

No comments: