Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Finally, Samia made it into a jail cell…

Throughout the trip, Samia joked that she was certain to wind up in a Japanese jail at some point. Well, on our final night in Tokyo, her wish came true! Actually, it wasn’t a real jail cell, but a pseudo-dungeon cell at a restaurant called The Lockup. :) I had read about this place in my Let’s Go guide, and was absolutely determined to get there before leaving Tokyo. It was well worth the wait!

The Lockup, with full-velocity kitsch, is designed with a dungeon/mad scientist theme. In fact, even getting into the restaurant/bar is a bit of a challenge. Rachael finally figured out how to open the door by sticking her hand through a small, non-descript opening just outside. Once inside, the hostess motioned that we should choose a person from our group (without mentioning why). Both of the girls immediately pointed to me…at which time the hostess slapped a handcuff around my right wrist and led me (with the attached chain) through dark, winding halls to our table. We were all too stunned to take even one photo, unfortunately. Our table was in cell number 77…literally a small, dark space with a sliding door of jail bars. :) Soooo funny.

The drink menu was just as entertaining, with a mad scientist theme. Rachael ordered some type of drink that came in a beaker and had a fake eyeball floating in it. I opted for a chemistry set-type thing, which included a beaker for drinking, a lab flask (I forget the exact name, despite the many hours I have spent in chemistry labs in my day) full of sour mix, and a whole row of test tubes with an assortment of brightly colored juices and alcohol. :)

1 comment:

S said...

Oh my god, thank you for not putting up the jail cell photo!!