Monday, September 8, 2008

Exotic: Not just an adjective for dancers anymore


With our love of photos, Samia and I are feeling a sense of kindred spirit with the Japanese. We're fitting right in, in that regard.

However, we sometimes forget that we don't totally blend into the crowd here; we just enjoyed a funny little reminder of our own oddity. I'm sort of used to blending in wherever I go, as I endlessly hear that I look "just like" someone's cousin/childhood friend/neighbor. I have generally come to terms with my generic looks, but I'm suddenly feeling a little exotic. And I like it. :)

Anyway...as Samia and I were exiting the keynote address, a Japanese woman came running toward us with her camera. With the characteristic huge smile, she excitedly said, "You take photo with us?" and pointed to a couple of other smiling Japanese dietitians behind her. Assuming that she wanted us to take the photo so she could be IN it, we happily agreed and I started to reach for the camera. But oh, no! They wanted to take a picture WITH our exotic American selves. :) They circled around us and said, "Oh, United States! United States!" as we all bowed to one another repeatedly then posed for multiple photos. :) We never even exchanged names! As we walked away, we both simultaneously blurted (for the millionth time in two days), "I LOVE this country!"

No comments: