Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Dancing Queen...


I'm totally behind on posting our adventures, but I had to get this one up, even if it is out of order. We just got home from a night on the town in Kyoto, and it was absolutely fantastic. :)

We decided to spend the evening in the Gion district, which is the entertainment district famous for geisha. Rachael, Samia & I made our way over there, took some photos with all of the hanging lanterns in the background, then quickly settled on a tasty Filipino restaurant for dinner (which happened to be showing some kind of really cheesy Asian soap opera on a big screen TV, to add to the ambiance :)).

After dinner, we meandered around the seemingly endless Gion district, our senses overloaded with stimuli. While waiting for a crosswalk signal, I happened to look over my shoulder & spot two adorable guys that we had noticed on our tour of the Imperial Palace earlier in the day. Once I pointed them out, Samia didn't hesitate to approach one of them and say, "Hey, you were on our tour today!" Long story short...we ended up grabbing drinks with them (plum wine with bartlett pear juice, just in case you were wondering), and THEN decided that the next logical step would be to hit one of the legendary Japanese karoake bars! :)

Karaoke in Japan is not like karaoke in America. In Japan, you rent private, soundproof rooms for up to eight people by the hour, and you have your own little karaoke party! They stocked us up with sake, and away we went! It was hysterical! One of the guys was totally into it, and of course we were, too. At one point, Samia and I looked at each other and marveled at the fact that we were in the middle of Japan's ancient capital, drinking sake with a couple of Canadians, and singing our hearts out to Lynrd Sknyrd in a private karaoke room. :)

This trip is exactly what I needed.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are having a wonderful time and I am living it through you.....someday, but not now.....Carmen

Moe in KS said...

Okay, so I'm just now catching up with your blog of the trip. It sounds amazing and you've made me laugh very hard more than a few times.
I believe I must have the toilet with all of the buttons. Think you could cram one into your bag and hike up some stairs with it in order to bring it to the US for me (while wearing heels, please)? I think you all may have done the equivalent of a marathon to finally make that train...

So glad you're having a blast & looking forward to reading more!

Aub