Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The countdown is on...

I'm about 34 hours away from the biggest trip of my life thus far, which will also encompass the biggest career victory OR blunder of my life, depending how this whole international speaking gig goes. Am I packed? No, sir! Have I practiced my presentation? Nope, haven't even finished drafting it yet. Have I mastered the Japanese language, or at least learned how to request directions to the nearest restroom? Not even remotely (despite all of the audio lessons silently accumulating in my podcast library). Do I have any Yen? Do I know how to find my Tokyo hotel? Do I even know how my friends and I will connect, upon our respective arrivals at Narita airport? No, no, and no. Am I ready for two weeks of advenure in Japan? Absolutely. :)

I have no doubt that my lack of preparation (a serious departure from my usual anal-retentive self) is, in part, out of denial. I'm more than a little anxious about this 13-hour flight over the Pacific, as I am neither a fan of confined spaces nor of deep water. My only substantive preparations for the trip have revolved around accumulating a bag-of-tricks to keep me occupied during this happy little bus ride through the sky. Samia has no idea of how many games of Uno and Set I'm going to put her through over this 13 hours. :)

Once the flight has landed, though, and my body clock has adjusted (it's a 12 hour time difference--"like night and day"), I'll be totally in my element. Nothing makes me feel more alive than traveling, and I've definitely been in need of a fully-rejuvenating kick-start lately. I can't wait to absorb every moment of adventure that this trip has to offer!

Anyone that knows me also knows that my real dream job is to host my own travel show. :) So far, I've been all talk with that dream...but I thought that this travel blog might be a good baby-step forward. With my genetic affinity for crazy people and oddball situations, I should, at the very least, have a few entertaining tales to share along the way. I know I will enjoy creating memories over the next couple of weeks; I also hope that you will enjoy sharing in them. Comments are welcome (hint, hint)...

1 comment:

JaimieT said...

Don't forget the little people - no I mean literally "little people" I am sure you will see some - I want to hear all about it!